Saturday, January 12, 2019

Cry From The Grave (Chapter 41)

Cry From The Grave
Chapter 41

     One of Nick Fisher's least favorite pastimes was multitasking on the day of a funeral. Directing Ballack and Tori to the front pew of the left transept, he swept his left hand across his face and put on his glasses. He took a seat next to Tori, pulled out his phone, and peered at it for a few seconds.
     "I don't mean to be rude, but I have a lunch appointment at noon and I made it last week before Dean's death. I am hoping to be back in time for the viewing at two."
     "Where does that take place, Reverend?" asked Tori.
     "The viewing will take place in the chapel, with the funeral occurring here in the sanctuary. Were you both planning to attend?"
     "We'll be there," said Ballack, noting that Fisher was holding a service program. "Do you mind if I take a look at that for a second?"
     "I don't. Help yourself." Fisher handed the bulletin over.
     While Ballack looked at the order of the service, Tori opened her notebook. "Reverend Fisher," she began, "what is going to happen to St. Matthew's Grove given this is the third homicide in four days?"
     Fisher blanched at the mention of the word homicide, but he recovered quickly, leading Tori to believe that Isabel Andrews had informed him. "That," said the rector, "is an excruciatingly vexing issue, but at the end of the day, I can't see how our patients--rightly or wrongly--will feel secure in such an environment. It is one thing if an arrest is made, but given the present circumstances, I am sure the diocese will have some strong recommendations for closure and liquidation."
     "Would you try to sell to Eden Seminary?"
     "Handling a sale to another institution of another denomination would involve crossing T's and dotting I's, but there is that possibility. However, Eden might question the purchase of a building on a parcel of land so remote from their other buildings. And there is another mitigating factor."
     "Would it be," said Ballack as he handed the program back to Fisher, "that Eden itself might be strapped for cash?"
     "Yes, Eden has faced declining enrollment for some time, and now Webster University practically owns their library system. If you ask me, Eden would do better to become a graduate school of religion and come fully under the Webster banner. At least the university has some monetary reserves to throw around."
     There was another question to be asked, no matter how uncomfortable. "Reverend Fisher," asked Tori, "where were you this morning from the time you got up?"
     "I woke at six, had breakfast with my wife around six-thirty, and I got here at seven-thirty. We had about a dozen folks in the chapel for Morning Prayer at nine. I've been in my office since then with the exception of a coffee break at ten-thirty. Being pressed for time, I drove there instead of riding my bike. I went to Adobe for my java."
     "And from then on?"
     "With the exception of a bathroom break, I stayed in my office. Isabel Andrews--if I might back up--called me at eight to report on Helen Smith's death. Other than that, it brings us to the present." Fisher folded his hands and crossed his legs, as if to exhibit his simmering annoyance.
     Ballack looked at Tori, then back at the rector. "Reverend Fisher, you said the viewing is in the chapel?"
     "Yes. Why?"
     "No reason. I think we're done here."
     Fisher abruptly stood up and bade them a curt goodbye. On their way up the aisle, Tori said, "And what was that last question for?"
     "Just to see his face for any giveaway. Did you see anything?"
     "Just that he's clearly worn down by all that's happened. Nothing that gives me the impression that he's Bowie."
     "Nah, he's too peripheral. It's someone on the inside."
     "Why did you need to look at the program?"
     "To see if anyone else at St. Matthew's Grove has a role in the funeral service today. It turns out Beverly Overton is not the only one participating in it."
    "Who else?" asked Tori, as they exited the doors and wandered out into the bright sunshine.
     "Interestingly enough, Isabel Andrews is reading from I Corinthians 13."
     "I wouldn't have expected that. They were hardly allies."
     "The chapter of love. 'These three remain.' I remember when Princess Diana died. Tony Blair read that chapter at her funeral."
     "The one where Elton John re-worded 'Candle in the Wind'?"
     "That's the one," Ballack said, suddenly coming to a dead halt as he looked across Lockwood Avenue.
     "What?" asked Tori.
     "Back to St. Matthew's!" he barked. "Now!"
     

No comments:

Post a Comment